Congestive heart failure affects nearly 1 million Indians every year. According to experts, the person with such heart disease can survive lifelong or only for years. Although this can be treated but cured.
What is Congestive Heart Failure (CAH)?
It is a chronic health condition in which your heart and the associated blood vessels get weakened. The heart ventricles become unable to pump the required amount of blood to the lungs and circulatory system.
It mostly affects people between the ages 41 to 60.
What are the causes of Congestive Heart Failure?
India has progressed enough for medical treatment of various life-threatening conditions because of its advanced technology and cost-effective treatment. A heart is one of the vital organs of the human body and any kind of ignorance can be potentially fatal.
There are many health conditions that can damage your heart muscle:
- Coronary Artery Disease (CAD): The main cause of CAD is the plague – fat deposits in the coronary arteries resulting in decreased flow of blood containing oxygen to the heart. This leads to a severe damage to major blood vessels of your heart. Approximately 10 million Indians are diagnosed every year. From no symptoms to a sudden chest pain leading to a severe heart attack, it has different faces. Your physician may ask to follow a balanced diet, regular physical exercise, or perform angioplasty/surgery, if needed.
- Heart Attack: A person suffers a heart attack when a blood clot blocks blood flow to the heart muscle. A blocked coronary artery damages the heart muscle leading to a terrible heart attack. The pain in chest, back, arms, abnormal heart activity are some of the common symptoms.
- Other conditions: Some of the common health conditions responsible for the cause are hypertension, cardiomyopathy/weakened heart muscle, congenital heart diseases, damaged valves, blocked arteries, high blood pressure, kidney disorders, diabetes.
What are the symptoms of Heart failure?
You may not develop any of the signs or symptoms that might be severe during the early stages of congestive heart failure. Somehow, as the time passes on, you may start noticing a drastic change in your health condition.
- Weight gain or loss
- An urge to urinate during night
- Abnormal heartbeat activity
- Congested lungs
- Chest pain
- Discomfort in arms or around neck
- Shortness of breath
- Fluid and water retention in your kidneys
- Stomach Bloating
What are the types of heart failure?
Depending on your heart’s condition, you may likely to suffer from either systolic heart failure or diastolic heart failure.
Systolic Heart Failure: When your left ventricle has an abnormal contraction activity leading to an inability of the heart to pump blood into the circulatory system.
Diastolic Heart Failure: It is a condition when your heart muscles are contracting normally, but the ventricles become stiff and less than required blood enters your heart during normal filling.
How is heart failure diagnosed?
A cardiologist is a heart specialist who specializes in diagnosis and treats disorders and abnormalities related to your heart using
- Coronary Angiography,
- Blood test,
- Stress test or
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI).
There are numerous centers available for heart disease treatment in Kolkata and other parts of India. Following are the below-mentioned that we should consider while choosing the best hospital::
- NABH & JCH accredited hospital
- Experienced and well-known cardiologists
- Facilities and staff available at the hospital
- Location of the hospital near your locality.